Thursday, January 19, 2017

The One About the Rainbow Baps

The first crafty post to usher in the new year is ironically a project I made when I bid farewell to my colleagues when I moved to Japan last year.  I wanted to leave the portals of my former school in my usual artsy, crafty demeanor and give something to my friends that they, hopefully, will look back with fondness to.

I had just been bitten by the bread-making bug back then.  At the prodding of my husband, I had bought a cookbook from a gold mine of a secondhand bookstore and began my love affair with floury baps and whatnot.  In between kneading this glorious hunk of dough, I thought of my student days when my classmates and I would munch on peanut butter or cheese pimiento or ham sandwiched between two slices of rainbow bread. 

And so I thought, if I wanted to give a gift with an air of delightful nostalgia, what can be better by taking my friends down a trip on memory lane and gift them with rainbow bread?

And so I got to work.






I used a floury baps recipe and tinted batches of dough with rainbow hues.  They turned out lovely.  Baps has a chewy and somewhat tough artisanal texture so it was nothing like the light and airy pan de sal we are used to.

I packaged each rainbow bun with my virtual identity.  Along with each bun was a card I designed and a handwritten note (Can I just say that I looove writing notes by hand!) inside next to what I’d like to think was a witty and clever typed message.







Everything went so well together beautifully.  When saying goodbye is difficult, doing it in an artful way somehow makes it so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment