Friday, January 17, 2014

The One About the Hong Kong Food Diaries


Somehow, we always find ourselves going back. :)

On our recent trip to Hong Kong, it became apparent that Hon-some and I will never seem to get tired of the vibrant city.  And yes, that's coming from a pro-provincial life girl like me.  There is always something new to discover, be it a lovely park, a foodie find, a retail treasure, or a breezy January cold spell.  Upon discovering that my camera contained nothing but food snapshots, the only way to tell this story is, of course, from a gastronomical angle.

First meal of the day (and always is as in our other trips to HK) is at McDonald's because we are die-hard fans of the golden arches.  Plus, it's fun discovering new menu items that are not locally available here.  Like the Grilled Chicken Burger with real chicken fillet.  Not the mashed chicken patty type.  And we thanked our lucky stars that Twister Fries were being offered when we were there!




After lunch and checking-in, we spent the rest of the day in Kowloon and Mongkok to search for a pair of what we thought were elusive sneakers.  :)

Dinner was barbecued pork.  Another HK staple because, really, it just tastes better when eaten there. :)




The following day, when the rest of the family (just 14 of us) were getting ready for Disneyland, Hon-some and I continued searching the perfect pair of sneakers...and craft stores!  Day 2 started with breakfast at McDonald's.  I got the Tonkatsu Deluxe Set.




The breakfast set was so good I ordered it again the following day.  Hehe!  After a lot of walking, we found our shoes and a craft store and I got a couple of rulers.  Rulers?!?!  It's geek thing.  Hahaha!

No, but really, I can use them for sewing and crafts.  Like this 24-inch ruler...




...and a flexible curve ruler for perfect collars and necklines!!!






Anyhoo, another HK must-eat for me is a warm bowl of the most perfect sliced pork and Century egg congee.  Steaming hot until the last spoonful. :)




And then somewhere during the day I had these...


That's crayfish soup!  Saaaarrraaaappp!


Breakfast on Day 3 was at KFC.  Flava roast chicken, egg, sausage, and honey biscuit.  And then we were off to Central.




I met these beauties at Tim Ho Wan, the world's cheapest Michelin-starred restaurant. :)  We also had their siomai, steamed vegetables, machang, chicken feet, radish cake, and stuffed rice roll.  Lunch was a party in my tummy. :)




That night, we did some shopping at H&M and Page One and had pan-fried pork dumplings (10 dumplings per serving!) with pork ball soup at Silvercord.






Our four-day vacation to HK was literally a food trip!  After each heavy meal, we really had to walk off all the calories.  But then again, that's how we are.  In HK, we eat, we walk, and we get lost in the charm of the country's every nook and cranny. :)

My tummy's still thanking me to this day but my waistline and I...well, we were never the best of friends to begin with. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment