Monday, May 9, 2011

The One About the Mother's Day Topiary


This year, I wanted to veer away from the usual greeting card as my students' gifts to their moms for Mother's Day. Not that there's anything wrong with greeting cards. I just wanted to do something different...



So we made tissue paper topiaries.



You start with a styrofoam ball and glue crumpled tissue paper all over it. Prior to gluing tissue paper, I inserted a chopstick in the ball so the kids can hold it easily.






For the "pots," I used paper cups with foam inside to pierce the chopstick through then hid it with crumpled green tissue paper. Very similar to this.



They even decorated the topiary with decorative punch outs which they simply pinned down into the ball (great fine motor skills activity, by the way) with sewing pins.


Happy Mother's Day crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment